Friday, March 18, 2011

McDonalds Rant

A bit of a rant here…

McDonald’s. Not a name that conjures up images of the finest cuts of meat, steaming and delicious sides, or decadent desserts. But as a fast food restaurant I do imagine that it conjures up the image of “fast”.

Now, let me begin by saying that at one time in my life I loved McDonald’s. And even now they have the bomb fries. But of course the food they serve is simply horrid for you, and as I’m trying very hard as of late to radically change my lifestyle in regards to food and exercise good ol’ McD’s has been cut off the list.

That being said this morning I had a craving. I wanted a coffee and a sausage mcmuffin. I’ve got 10 miles run so far this week, and six more to come so I figured I could handle one damn sandwich. And I really wanted one. Badly. Even now the thought of it makes my mouth water. But alas…it’s not that easy.

First I stopped at the store on 270 and High Street. 5:01 AM. Believe me, my watch is right. I see the staff in the store, all lights on. All signs lit. I pull up to the drive thru and it automatically tells me “we are sorry, but this store is closed.” Um, no you’re not. You open at 5! You are staffed and ready to go. I’ve no patience for this type of thing so I leave.

As I’m traveling the Outer Loop towards the airport I see a sign on the road…McDonald’s Open 24 hours! “Yes!” I think to myself. I’m gonna get my fix. So I pull up to the drive thru. I see one car at the drive thru window and me at the order point. That’s it. First this I hear is “wait a second”. Ok, I can wait a second. Or thirty…one minute. Finally, dude comes on and asks what I want. “I’d like the breakfast duo with a coffee please.”

Pause

Pause

Pause

The speaker crackles back “can you help me out with that?”

I’m thinking to myself…in the middle of the damn sign on the order board is huge advertisement for the BREAKFAST DUO. It’s a freakin’ coffee and sausage mcmuffin.

So I tell him. I’m cool. Not rude or short or anything.

Pause

Pause

Pause

Pause

Pause

Pause

At that point I simply pull away and drive to work.

Maybe it’s the running gods telling me I shouldn’t eat at McDonalds anymore? If that is the case…I submit to your will, oh majestic running gods.

I’m utterly done with McDonalds.

And this is what I missed out on.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 5.7 oz (164.0 g)

Amount per Serving

  • Calories 450 Calories from Fat 250

% Daily Value *

  • Total Fat 27g 42%
  • Saturated Fat 10g 50%
  • Trans Fat 0g
  • Cholesterol 285mg 95%
  • Sodium 920mg 38%
  • Total Carbohydrate 30g 10%
  • Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
  • Sugars 2g
  • Protein 21g 42%
  • Vitamin A10%
  • Vitamin C2%
  • Calcium30%
  • Iron20%
  • Vitamin D0%
  • Vitamin E0%
  • Vitamin B60%
  • Vitamin B120%
  • Zinc0%

Est. Percent of Calories from:

Fat 54.0% Carbs 26.7%

Protein 18.7%

1 comment:

  1. 54% Fat! Good thing you passed!

    Yay that you passed up McDonalds...that your impatience won over. Because I've been through many drive-thrus with you, I also know that you expect finely-tuned machine perfection when it comes to fast food service at the window. Today you got confused, slow, 5am workers. I can hear you bitching now. :P

    This is where the running part comes in: yay that you are beginning to replace a new habit with an old. That you are more health conscious in deciding what to put in your mouth. Today you simply decided it wasn't worth it. You chose something else more important to you. I think that's called habit breaking! (applause)

    It reminds me of smokers trying to quit, how they "think" they want a cigarette, manage to get one, but when they light up, it either repulses them or makes them sick.

    Today, your running won out! :)

    ReplyDelete